Sunday, January 1, 2017

Of The Year 2016

Another year passed where I ended up not consuming nearly as much junk as I usually do. I don't know what I've been doing with all the free time I've had not watching wrestling or playing video games. Refreshing Twitter I guess. I did do a couple things though and I thought I'd list some of the good ones. A lot has been made about 2016 being a bad year what with all the deaths and the politics and a lot also being made about 2016 being a good year what with all the personal success that some people have achieved. 2016 for me has been basically the same as every year since 2012 except I spent like 150 more hours liveblogging Monday Night Raw.



Music I Liked

Here's one thing I actually have a list for. I listened to a fair amount of music, not as much as 2013 and 14, but enough to actually get a list from.

JEFFERY
This tape is a masterpiece through and through. An absolute must-listen.
Camp Cope - Camp Cope
This is the album I've probably listened to the most this year.
Gucci Mane - Everybody's Looking
GUCCI MANE BACK
AJJ - The Bible 2
Maybe this makes me a square but Christmas Island was my favorite AJJ album and More Christmas Island is exactly what I wanted out of The Bible 2 and it is exactly what I got!
PUP - The Dream Is Over
Pop punk is real.

Colleen Green - s/t
YG - Red Friday
Jawbreaker Reunion - Haha and Then What...
YG - Still Brazy
Young Thug - Slime Season 3

Wrestling I Liked

I hit a crossroads this year where I became extremely sick and tired of the junior heavyweight style and particularly the WWE's take on it, whether the terrible 205 Live matches or how every heavyweight match has to have a dumb dive in it now. If I had to pick a promotion that I enjoyed the most this year, it would be UWFi. Watched a lot of very old Takeda matches that I loved this year. My favorite show I watched this year was CZW Cage of Death, my top three matches are Naito vs Omega from the G1, Naito vs Michael #BIGMIKE Elgin from Destruction in Kobe, and Tanahashi vs SANADA also from the G1. This is a very New Japan heavy list but legitimately all I watched this year was the major New Japan shows, every day of the G1, and WWE, plus a couple US indie shows like the aforementioned Cage of Death. Special mention to the Trevor Lee vs Roy Wilkins No DQ, No Time Limit marathon of a match. It lags a bit in the second act but it's a real accomplishment not just for the performers but for the booker. Definitely a match worth watching.

Everything Else

Superhot was good, the Best Show election night episode was fantastic, the Best Show in general was really good this year, Lil Yachty killed it on features. I guess that's it. Seems like a short year, in retrospect. Oh well, only a couple years left until total human extinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment